ST Electronics sets up JV with SatixFy

By Editor 24-Mar-2018


Photo: Yoel Gat, CEO of SatixFy Limited, Simona Gat, CEO of SatixFy UK, Mr Tang Kum Chuen, President of Satellite Systems at ST Electronics, Ravinder Singh, President of ST Electronics, at the JV agreement signing.

 Singapore Technologies Electronics Limited (ST Electronics), the electronics arms of ST Engineering, has signed an agreement with SatixFy UK Limited (SatixFy UK) through its subsidiary ST Electronics (Satcom & Sensor Systems) Pte. Ltd. to jointly invest in a joint venture company aimed at high growth in-flight connectivity market. ST Electronics' planned investment of US$20m is for a 49% stake in the JV, with the remaining 51% to be held by SatixFy UK. The JV, which will be set up in the UK, is part of ST Electronics’ plans to enhance its global access to the emerging high growth commercial aviation connectivity market.

The JV will develop a state-of-the-art satellite antenna system that delivers enhanced in-flight connectivity (IFC) for commercial aviation. The concept of the satellite antenna system, which was showcased at the Smart City Cluster of the ST Engineering booth at Singapore Airshow 2018, utilises Digital Beam Forming technology based on SatixFy UK’s first-of-its-kind chip technology. This technology will enable seamless and simultaneous communications with multiple satellites, at higher performance, lower SWAP (Size, Weight and Power) and significantly lower cost than existing solutions. In addition to providing enhanced broadband connectivity experience for in-flight passengers, the technology will improve operational efficiencies of commercial and business airline operators.

Ravinder Singh, President, ST Electronics, has said that the joint venture will enhance the company’s satellite communications business. “Together with SatixFy, we will deliver an affordable and high-performance technology solution that generates significant cost savings for airline operators and gives enhanced in-flight experience for their customers. We believe this innovative technology has the potential to generate tremendous value for the growing worldwide aviation connectivity market,” said Singh.

Yoel Gat, CEO of SatixFy Limited, the parent company of SatixFy UK, has said that the JV will bring together respective strengths in satellite solutions and Aerospace to provide a unique In-flight Connectivity (IFC) offering to the Aviation industry. “The satellite industry is undergoing significant changes with the launch of various LEO or Medium Earth Orbit (MEO) constellations and Ultra High Throughput Satellites (U-HTS). Our solution will provide customers with a solution that is future proof and can leverage the best available satellite infrastructure now and, in the future,” said Gat.